Growing a business means taking many decisions about the way you want to expand your operations. Creating a strategic plan is a key component of planning for growth. It will help you prepare a realistic vision for the future of your business and in doing so can maximise your business’ potential for growth.
A strategic plan should not be confused with a business plan. A business plan is about setting short- or mid-term goals and defining the steps necessary to achieve them. A strategic plan is typically focused on a business’ mid- to long-term goals and explains the basic strategies for achieving them.
This guide sets out the basics of the strategic planning process. It explains how to go about drawing up a strategic plan, it highlights some important issues to bear in mind and it shows how to turn from planning to implementation.
- The purpose of strategic planning
- The three key elements of strategic planning
- Getting started with strategic planning
- Build your plan on solid strategic analysis
- What a written strategic plan should include
- Some important strategic planning issues to consider
- Implementing a strategic plan